Friday, September 25, 2009

Song

The song, What was I Thinking, by Dierks Bentley represents both Apollonian and Dionysian traits. In the song, the narrator is thinking irrationally; he only cares about intimate time with Becky, regardless of the consequences. Like a Dionysian, he is thinking based on pleasure, sensuous enjoyment, carelessness, and without reason. He seeks pleasure and sensuous enjoyment, by spending time with Becky. Bentley says, “I was thinking ‘bout a little white tank top sitting right there in the middle by me I was thinking about a long kiss.” Along with seeking sensuous enjoyment and pleasure, this is also careless and thinking without reason. Becky’s father is protective, has a criminal record, and is ready to shoot anyone down who comes after Becky. Bentley makes a big mistake, sneaking Becky out to spend time with her. He now has to face the consequences of Becky’s father.
Although Bentley is clearly predominately Dionysian, his Apollonian side is also embodied through the song. Bentley says, “Oh I knew there’d be Hell to pay,” and questions his actions, “What was I thinking?” This is Apollonian, because he starts to think logically, realizing that his actions were wrong and have negative outcomes. This displays knowledge and realizations, both Apollonian traits. Bentley embodies both Apollonian and Dionysian characteristics throughout What was I Thinking.

Becky was a beauty from South AlabamaHer Daddy had a hard lock and nine pound hammerThink He even did a little time in the slammerWhat was I thinking?She snuck out one night and met me by the front gateHer daddy came out waving that twelve gageWe tore out the drive, he peppered my tailgateWhat was I thinking?Oh I knew there’d be Hell to pay,But that crossed my mind a little too late!ChorusCuz’ I was thinking ‘bout a little white tank top sitting right there in the middle by meI was thinking about a long kiss man just gotta get goin’ with a night like meWell I know what I was feeling But What was I thinking?But What was I thinking?What was I thinking?By the county line the cops were nipping on our heelsPulled off the road kicked it to 4 wheelShut off the lights, tore through a corn fieldWhat was I thinking?Out the other side she was hollerin’ “Faster!��?Took the third road had the radio blastin’Hit the Honky Tonk for a little close dancin’ What was I thinking?Oh I knew there’d be Hell to pay,But that crossed my mind a little too late!ChorusWhen a mountain of a man with a “Born to Kill��? tattoo tried to cut in I knocked out his front toothRan outside hood sliding like BulldukeWhat was I thinking?I finally got her home half past too lateHer daddy’s in a lawn chair sittin’ in the drivewayPut it in park as he started my way,What was I thinking?Oh What was I thinking?Oh What was I thinking?And she gave a come and get me grin, And like a bullet we were gone again!ChorusWhat was I thinking?

1 comment:

DB Congress said...

Really interesting analogy! I linked to your blog on mine! Check us out at dbcongress.com!